Stroke Risk Assessment
Download the Stroke Risk Assessment (PDF)
Text Version of the Assessment
Stroke Risk Assessment
American Stroke Association
- For each risk factor, select the box (higher risk or lower risk) that applies to you. Select only one box per risk factor.
- Enter a 1 on the blank line next to each checked box.
- Add up your total for each vertical column.
|Risk Factors*||Higher Risk||Lower Risk|
|Is your blood pressure greater than 120/80mm/Hg?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Have you been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Is your blood sugar greater than 100 mg/dL?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Is your body mass index greater than 25kg/m2?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Is your diet high in saturated fat, trans fat, sweetened beverages, salt, excess calories**?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Is your total blood cholesterol greater than 160mg/dL?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Have you been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Do you get less than 150 minutes of moderate to vigorous-intensity activity per week?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Do you have a personal or family history of stroke, TIA or heart attack?||Yes or unknown||No|
|Do you use tobacco or vape?||Yes or unknown||No|
|TOTAL SCORE (add your points for each column)|
*Some stroke risk factors cannot be changed such as age, family history, race, gender, and prior stroke.
**Excess calories means eating more than your body can burn off in a day.
Stroke Risk Assessment Results
If you scored higher in the “higher risk” column or you are unsure of your risk, ask your health care professional about how you can reduce your risk. Stroke is largely preventable, treatable and beatable.
Stroke is an EMERGENCY. Call 911 immediately if these signs are present:
F = Face Drooping
A = Arm Weakness
S = Speech Difficulty
T = Time to call 911
Other stroke symptoms include sudden:
- Numbness or weakness of face, arm, or leg, especially on one side of the body
- Confusion, trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Severe headache with no known cause
By learning and sharing the F.A.S.T. warning signs, you can help defeat stroke.
Learn more at stroke.org.
© Copyright 2022 American Heart Association, Inc., a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit. All rights reserved. American Stroke Association is a registered trademark of the AHA. Unauthorized use prohibited.