Resources for Stroke Survivors

Family and friends are usually the initial caregivers for stroke survivors. But eventually they must go back to work and their own lives. So informal or formal support can help ease the burden for survivors and caregivers.

Informal (or natural) support

Informal support (or natural support) is help, information, advice, resources or opportunities from friends, neighbors, acquaintances, family members, co-workers, etc. Informal support can also include things we use to help with daily life, such as alarm clocks and planners.

This kind of support builds on relationships when people share common tasks, activities and purposes. Examples include:

  • Connecting with people in your religious community
  • Getting a ride to work with a neighbor or family member
  • Getting a phone call reminder from a friend
  • Using a grocery delivery service
  • Sharing a task with a co-worker
  • Setting a timer or alarm clock

Formal support

Stroke support groups

A support group allows you to interact with other stroke survivors who know what you are going through. People in a support group can:

  • Help you find ways to solve problems related to your stroke.
  • Share information about products that may help your recovery.
  • Encourage you to try new things.
  • Listen to your concerns and frustrations.
  • Give you a chance to get out of the house.
  • Give you a chance to share your story.
  • Become your new friends.

Find a stroke support group in your area

Online stroke support groups

These groups often provide online support 24/7 for stroke survivors and family members. Visit the Support Network online community

Aging and disability services

All states have government offices that provide referrals and resources for the aging and disabled after a stroke.

Medicaid Home and Community-Based Services Waiver Program

If you qualify for medical assistance or Medicaid, find out if your state has a home and community-based services (HCBS) waivers program. This program allows the state to provide an array of home- and community-based services that help those who prefer live in their community instead of an institution. Each state has different programs and eligibility criteria, so contact your local Department of Human or Social Services for specifics in your state.

Rehabilitation Services Administration - Independent Living Services

Many agencies throughout the country have government-funded programs through the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA). This program focuses on vocational rehabilitation, which may include services such as counseling, medical and psychological services, job training and other individualized services. For more information, contact the RSA in your state.

Get Support. Or Offer it. Make a Connection for Life.

Get encouragement and offer guidance during challenging times. 

Looking for Stroke Information?

If you are a stroke survivor, caregiver or a family member looking for information and support, please connect with our trained stroke specialists through Stroke Family Warmline

If you are a group, organization or a hospital system, order stroke education materials here