Life's Essential 8™ - How to Manage Weight Fact Sheet
Understanding how many calories you take in and your activity level can help you identify changes you want to make. To lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you eat.
Reduce Calories In: Keeping track of what and how much you’re eating can help you know whether you’re eating out of habit, stress or boredom instead of real hunger.
Increase Calories Out: An activity tracker can help you track how much physical activity you get.
Learn Your BMI
Body Mass Index (BMI) is a numerical value of your weight in relation to your height. It can help you know whether you’re at a healthy weight or need to lose weight. Optimal BMI is 25. You can calculate your BMI online or see your health care professional.
Tips for Success
- Control Portions: Learn about portion sizes and how much you might really be eating.
- Get Active: it less, move more and add intensity to burn more calories and improve your overall health.
- Eat Smart: Eat a healthy diet of vegetables, fruits, whole grains, beans, legumes, nuts, plant-based proteins, lean animal proteins like fish and seafood. Limit sugary foods and drinks, red or processed meats, salty foods, refined carbohydrates and highly processed foods.
- Get Help: If you aren’t able to lose weight successfully on your own, talk with your health care professional.
View or Download Fact Sheet
English (PDF) | Spanish (PDF)
How to Manage Weight Resources
Life's Essential 8 Fact Sheets
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Eat Better Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Be More Active Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Quit Tobacco Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Get Healthy Sleep Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Manage Weight Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Control Cholesterol Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Manage Blood Sugar Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 - How to Manage Blood Pressure Fact Sheet
- Life's Essential 8 Fact Sheet