Together We Will Empower & Equip the Community to Turn the Tide of Community Health
Communities know their needs and often have ideas and solutions to improve the health of their community. The American Heart Association (AHA), in partnership Blue Cross Blue Shield NC, is partnering with and funding community leaders to implement their ideas through mini grants to promote heart health in the Triangle (Wake, Durham, and Orange counties), Triad (Guilford and Forsyth counties), and Charlotte (Mecklenburg, Gaston, and Union counties). Community partners are eligible for mini-grants ranging from $2,500 - $10,000 to support heart healthy policies and environments. Community members, including individuals, churches, senior centers, community health centers, housing authority, historically black colleges and universities, community colleges, city and county government, hospitals, employers, and others are welcome to apply.
Examples of eligible expenses could include:
- Updating kitchen equipment to make it easier to store healthy food;
- Equipment and materials for food distribution and/or food access point;
- Materials to implement chronic disease self-monitoring & care, such as a BP cuff loaner program;
- Educational materials to implement food security screenings at a meal site or community center, etc.;
- Signage and promotion of heart healthy policies;
- Offsetting the cost of a pricing incentive for healthy foods;
- Offsetting staffing expenses (salary, travel, etc) for promoting healthier spaces; and/or
- Strategies addressing COVID-related complications related to nutrition security or access to care;
- Other strategies to improve heart healthy spaces.
Application Deadline: Thursday, November 12, 2020
For more information and technical support: firstname.lastname@example.org
Congratulations to our Spring 2020 Award Winners:
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Food Policy Council
Cobblestone Farmers Market
Community Faith Builders Corporation
Durham County Health Department
Guilford Community Care Network
Holly Springs Food Cupboard
Inter-Faith Food Shuttle
Josephine Dobbs Clement Early College High School
McLeod Addictive Disease Center, Inc.
Neighborhood Markets, Inc.
New Jerusalem Missionary Baptist Church
Out of the Garden
Shepherd’s Care Medical Clinic
SMSi Healthy Living Solutions, Inc.
The Hope Center at Pullen, Inc.
Time Out Youth Center
Union County Government
WakeUP Wake County