Gary N

Photo of Gary N

I am … A Survivor.

I’m 63 years old, and I’ve been retired for 1 ½ years. Saturday, July 14, 2018, started perfectly normal. I drove to the new Raleigh Union Station. I walked around the inside and outside of the station with no problems or difficulties.

I came back home around noon. After lunch, I got on the Internet. Still everything was normal. Sometime late afternoon or evening I had difficulty walking and doing normal daily activities. I keep a daily journal, and I have good penmanship. However, I could hardly write decently. I thank God that if I had to have a stroke, it happened at home. It could have been disastrous if it happened while I was driving.

I knew something was wrong, but I never suspected a stroke. With the limited knowledge I had of a stroke, I had none of the symptoms: No dizziness. No blurred vision. No headache. I have no idea when the stroke actually happened. I fell down twice. Once my right leg just gave out. Once I fell more from clumsiness than anything else. My right arm and leg were affected.

Sunday I was in a state of denial. I thought in my mind, there’s no way I could have had a stroke. I was no better, so I didn’t go to church, which is very rare. I thought if I just rested I’d be OK.

I got up Monday morning, and I wasn’t any better. I knew I couldn’t take care of myself, so I asked my friend, Nellie, from downstairs, to take me to the doctor. I hated the thought of going to the hospital, so you know I had to be real bad to go. I hadn’t stayed overnight at the hospital since I was a baby.

I went to the emergency room at WakeMed in Cary. They told me I had an Ischemic stroke, a blood clot in the brain. I also had diabetes and high blood pressure, which were contributors to my stroke. All the staff treated me excellent. I was there from Monday, July 16, to Friday, the 20th, when I was transferred to PruittHealth in Raleigh.

At PruittHealth, I went to therapy to help me rehabilitate. I managed to get around using a walker. I also put a lot of effort into doing things for myself, such as exercising, practicing writing, walking the halls, and researching about my condition. I give God the glory for my rapid, daily improvement and full recovery. I also know I had a lot of prayers going up on my behalf. Prayer works.

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018, I took my first steps with no walker, cane, or any kind of assistance. I have no residual effects except I tire a lot quicker than I use to, but that’s improving. Once again, all the staff treated me excellent.

I was discharged to home on Saturday, August 4, 2018,–3 weeks to the day after my stroke–where I continue my life’s journey post-stroke. I walk unassisted, drive, and have no trouble taking care of my daily needs. I’m not 100%, but I’m getting there.

I give God the glory for my quick recovery. I also give thanks for the excellent care I received, and all the prayers. I especially want to thank my Pastor, Otis McAllister III, and his wife Sister Regina, Nellie, and everybody else who helped me in any way.

I pray to the Lord for guidance as to what His will is for me from here. Who can I help with my story?