Stroke in Children
Stroke has no age limits. It can happen to children, even infants.
Pediatric Stroke Causes
Finding the cause of pediatric stroke is vital to providing the right treatment and preventing more injury.
Recovery and Pediatric Stroke
Each child recovers differently from stroke. Prompt medical treatment and rehabilitation therapy can maximize recovery. In general, younger people recover more abilities than older people.
Pediatric Stroke Resources Available
The American Stroke Association and the International Alliance for Pediatric Stroke (IAPS) have collaborated to provide these resources:
- ASA’s Scientific Statement on the Management of Stroke in Neonates and Children
- Pediatric Stroke Infographic English | Spanish
- Perinatal Stroke Infographic English | Spanish
- Sickle Cell Disease and Pediatric Stroke Risk
- Check out Alex’s stroke story (video)
- Watch Rhys’s stroke story (video)
- Learn about the importance of spreading awareness (video)
- IAPS’s Pediatric Stroke Tool Kit (available in English and Spanish)