Strokes and Brain Health Infographic
Brain Health and Healthy Aging
As you age, a healthy body is key to a healthy brain and sharp mind. Stay healthy and active to help reduce your risk of STROKE, heart disease, memory loss and difficulty with thinking and learning.
By The Numbers
- Every 40 seconds someone in the U.S. has a stroke 80% of brain disease can be linked to cardiovascular disease
- Stroke is the No.5 Cause of Death in the U.S.
- 99% of U.S. adults have at least one of seven cardiovascular health risks
- 3 in 5 Americans will develop a brain disease in their lifetime.
Your lifestyle choices affect your brain health.
It’s never too late to start making healthier choices.
- Get enough sleep Adults need 7-9 hours per night.
- Teenagers and children need more.
- Get regular check-ups
- Schedule regular visits with your health care provider.
- Talk about how to control or manage your risk factors.
- Move more, sit less
- Aim for 150 minutes of moderate aerobic exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous exercise (or a combination) per week.
- Eat Healthy Increase the amount of fruits and vegetables you eat.
- Reduce your intake of sodium, added sugar, and saturated and trans fats.
- Don’t smoke or vape If you currently smoke or vape, quit.
How Can I Learn More?
- Talk with your health care provider
- Call 1-888-4-STROKE (1-888-478-7653)
© Copyright 2020 American Heart Association, Inc, a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit. All rights reserved. American Stroke Association is a registered trademark for the AHA. Unauthorized use prohibited.