Already Registered? Sign In
Register and Start Fundraising Today!
Follow the easy instructions to register and create your personal fundraising page.
We’ve provided everything you need to email friends and family to ask for their support.
Plus, we have fundraising tips to help reach your goal faster.
Collection, Use and Security of Personal Information
- What personally identifiable information of yours is collected through the Sites
- Who collects such information
- How such information is used
- With whom your information may be shared
- What choices you have regarding collection, use and distribution of your information
- What kind of security procedures are in place to protect the loss, misuse or alteration of information under our control
- How you can correct any inaccuracies in your information
Collection of Personal Information
1. National Stroke Association will collect Personal Information (see below for definition of “Personal Information”) on an individual only if the individual provides the information to National Stroke Association either directly or through a third party. National Stroke Association also may collect information about a person who has been referred to the websites to send them emails regarding National Stroke Association‘s efforts or a person to whom National Stroke Association has been asked to send emails regarding National Stroke Association’s fundraising, programs or efforts. If a person donates to National Stroke Association, National Stroke Association may collect sensitive Personal Information such as the donor’s credit card number, card type, expiration date and keep a record of the financial transaction.
National Stroke Association may collect Demographic Information it obtains from individuals and third parties for fundraising purposes, to inform development of programs, products and services and to notify persons of National Stroke Association programs, events, educational opportunities and upcoming meetings.
National Stroke Association may collect Aggregate and Transactional Information and add to its database every time a person visits National Stroke Association websites. Also, National Stroke Association collects Aggregate Information for research purposes.
2. Types of information: "Personal Information" is "Demographic Information" and/or "Medical Information" which identifies a specific individual with a minimal degree of effort. Demographic Information includes name, address, city and other similar information. Medical Information includes diseases, treatments, lifestyle behaviors, family history, genotype, phenotype and other similar information. Transactional Information is data collected on an individual based on the individuals' interactions with National Stroke Association, which may include sensitive information such as credit card information and Medical Information. Aggregate Information is information presented in summary or statistical form, which does not contain data that would permit the identification of a specific individual without extraordinary effort.
Use of Personal Information
- When an individual provides Personal Information to National Stroke Association, National Stroke Association may use the Personal Information for its fundraising, programs, products and services.
- National Stroke Association uses Transactional Information for research purposes for the development or implementation of its fundraising, programs, products and services. The presumption is that, since Transactional Information is highly proprietary, it will not be disclosed to third parties.
- National Stroke Association will disclose all information as required by law.
- National Stroke Association will make every effort to discontinue the use of an individual's Personal Information as soon as practicable if requested by that individual. National Stroke Association may need to retain Information in its archives and records to comply with law, resolve disputes, analyze problems, assist with any investigations, enforce National Stroke Association’s User Agreement and other policies, and take other actions otherwise permitted or required by law.
- If a user elects to use National Stroke Association’s referral service for informing a friend about our Sites, we ask them for the friend's name and e-mail address. National Stroke Association will automatically send the friend a one-time e-mail inviting them to visit the Sites.
- If a user wishes to subscribe to National Stroke Association’s push email technology, e-newsletters or other digital sign-up activities (e.g, pledge), we ask for contact information such as name and email address.
- National Stroke Association’s websites contains links to other websites. Please note that when you click on one of these links, you are entering another websites for which National Stroke Association has no responsibility. We encourage you to read the privacy statements on all such Sites as their policies may be different than ours.
- National Stroke Association will take reasonable and appropriate measures to keep Personal Information confidential and in a secure environment, including taking appropriate action in the event of unauthorized disclosure.
- Access to Personal Information will be restricted to only those personnel with a legitimate business purpose.
- National Stroke Association owns all Personal Information provided to it by individuals and collected in accordance with this Policy. When an individual provides Medical Information to National Stroke Association, National Stroke Association will ensure that the individual acknowledges their assignment of the right to use the data to National Stroke Association.
Third Party Disclosure
- Permission is required before National Stroke Association discloses Personal Information to a third party. No permission is necessary for Aggregate Information, since Aggregate Information does not identify a specific individual.
- For disclosure of Demographic Information (e.g., rentals or exchanges of donor lists), National Stroke Association as a minimum will use the "Opt Out" approach. An "opt-out" is obtained when National Stroke Association through some correspondence gives an individual the opportunity to decline or "opt-out" of disclosures to third parties. If the individual does not opt out, permission is deemed granted. Depending upon the nature of an activity or project, a higher standard than "opt-out" may be used, such as "opt-in" whereby an individual must affirmatively give consent before information is disclosed.
- For disclosure of Medical Information, Informed Consent is required before National Stroke Association discloses Medical Information to a third party. Informed Consent occurs when an individual has sufficient facts about the disclosure, comprehends those facts, and voluntarily consents to the disclosure. Where a third party such as the employer or healthcare provider of an individual requires the individual to participate in an National Stroke Association program which collects Medical Information, National Stroke Association will require the employer or healthcare provider to procure Informed Consent before National Stroke Association will release Medical Information to that employer or healthcare provider.
- From time to time, there is a benefit in allowing a third party to use collected Personal Information on individuals. However, unless an individual gives permission, National Stroke Association will not disclose Personal Information collected by National Stroke Association to any third party. National Stroke Association sometimes engages third parties to provide certain operational services to National Stroke Association or on its behalf. National Stroke Association may disclose Personal Information to those third parties on a “need to know” basis under a written contract.
- National Stroke Association uses and allows third parties to use Aggregate Information for research purposes for the development or implementation of its fundraising, programs, products and services.
National Stroke Association uses an outside credit card processing company to bill users for goods and services or to process donations. These companies do not retain, share, store or use personally identifiable information for any secondary purposes. National Stroke Association partners with other parties to provide specific services such as secured Sites for financial transactions. As an option, users may register and create a personal account profile to provide more personalized information. Users are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the user ID and password, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under their account. National Stroke Association has no liability or responsibility for such use. National Stroke Association users are given the opportunity to “opt-out” of having their personal information used by third parties at the point where we ask for the information for purposes not directly related to our Sites. For example, our informational email messages have an “opt-out” mechanism so users who register can change their minds and be removed from receiving future informational messages.
If you decide at a later time that you want to opt out of any of National Stroke Association services, you can also contact Customer Service at 1-(800) 787-6537 (STROKES) or email NSAWebmaster@stroke.org. Please reference “Opt Out” in the subject line and describe which services you would like to opt out of in the body of the email. To update or change your information and preferences, visit our user login page and log on to your account.
9707 E. Easter Lane, Suite B
Centennial, CO 80112
Email to: Webmaster@stroke.org
Call: 1-800-STROKES (787-6537)