You are here

Tyrone R.

February 29, 2016

I am ... A Survivor

It was a nice evening on the 6th of Aug 2015. I was just 51 years old. (Just two weeks prior I was umpiring softball games in Northern California.) Around 8:30, my wife, Erin, and I were getting ready for bed and to watch some TV.

However, all of sudden, I felt hot all over and had a terrible headache. I got out of bed to lay on the floor trying to get comfortable. That doesn't even sound right I know, but that is all I wanted, to feel comfortable.  My wife asked me if I was ok and said "Yes babe, just feeling a little hot." I eventually got back in bed and after a few minutes and she asked me again was I ok. I was thinking I said, "Yes babe I am fine," what came out was apparently gibberish. I was still not aware of what was happening, until my wife asked me to say her name and I couldn't.  I stared at her with childish grin because I was confused, thinking 'why can't I say her name?' She asked me to text her (since I could not speak), this is what I text "Could trouble put sentence."  At that moment, my wife got me dressed to take me the hospital (5 minutes or less from the house) and at that moment, I went downhill quickly.

Until this day, I know the only way I made it down our stairs is by God's Grace. I believe as I was going down the stairs my right side went limp and I had minimal balance as I remember trying to pull my right arm of the railing of the stairs. My wife got me into the car, buckled my seat belt, and then I blacked out. I only woke in the car when I almost but a hole through my tongue as I threw up a little bit. The next thing I remember is being on a gurney in the hospital. I don't remember much after that (other than something on my mouth, which I later was told by wife that I had been intubated because my breathing was shallow. After running some quick tests, the emergency room Doctor and neurologist determined I was having a severe stroke in the left side of my brain. (On the stroke scale of 42 mine was 33).

The ER Doctor had told my wife not to expect a good outcome because they were unsure if administering TPA would be effective or if it may cause bleeding in my brain, but thankfully that was not case. I believe it was a miracle that the TPA worked. I am here today because of my loving wife getting me to the hospital in a timely manner, the TPA I was given when I got there, and for the caring ER staff. I was off work for 4 months, the doctors originally estimated 6 months. I had occupational therapy due to the loss of strength on my right side and some speech therapy. I am doing better now. I am back to work and coaching Girls High School basketball. I am so thankful and grateful everyday for s second chance of life, I am blessed more than deserve. I want to thank God first, my wife, my family and friends for their prayers and that I am able to share my story.


Nice Story.

Find a Support Group


Get Involved


For over 30 years we have been the trusted source for free resources and education to the stroke community. Together, we empower survivors and their circle of care to thrive after stroke. Make your tax-deductible donation today to support the growing needs of the stroke community.