You are here

Alexandria T.

August 11, 2015

I am ... A Survivor

On the morning of March 3, 2015 I was eating breakfast & doing some last minute studying for a Stats test. When I arose to get off the couch, I had what I thought was the most intense head rush of my life. The head rush didn't go away. I lowered myself back on to the couch, & realized the entire left side of my body was numb (like when your foot falls asleep). I also had very limited vision, As if I were looking through a peep hole. I had taken a number of anatomy & physiology courses in school, & my 1st thought was, "Omg am I having a stroke?" My 2nd thought was "I can't be, I'm way too young, but I need to get to the hospital now." I was alone that morning, so I had to crawl to the kitchen where my cell phone was charging. I dialed my best friend, she lived 2 minutes away & I knew she could get me to the ER faster than the ambulance. When she answered I could not talk. My thoughts were clear, but the words would come out in a word soup mess. I was able to muster out the word help, & hospital. Since she was far from home, she sent her husband to get me. Mike arrived in less than 5 minutes, he had to carry me out of the house.  The hospital got me back pretty quickly. They asked questions & did a CT scan, which showed no sign of stroke. I have a history of ocular migraines, so the doctor diagnosed me with migraine & sent the nurse to get my discharge papers. 5 minutes later he returned, & decided to keep me over night. He was worried about the list of sensation on my left side. The next doctor who was in charge of my care completely forgot to order the MRI, by the time the MRI was done.. There were no technicians around to read my results until the next morning. That night I was given a migraine cocktail for imatrex & other medications. This made my brain feel as if it were exploding. The pain was terrible. I later found out imatrex can induce stroke, so basically my doctor did me a huge disservice. I awoke the next morning to a new doctor, a neurologist, a team of nurses, and a few others by my bed. It was confirmed that I had a Giant TIA stroke in my right occipital lobe.   

The doctor explained that I may never regain full vision, & that the stroke was very significant. My mother was in tears, & I was very confused. He said that it was "LIKELY" because of birth control. BC has clotting factors, but oddly enough my blood test showed no clotting factors. Basically, they really don't know why the stroke happened. 

Faces of Stroke Follow-Up: 

5 months later, I have adjusted to my new vision. My peripheral sight is very limited, but my neurologist was shocked that I had any sight at all after seeing my MRI. It's a bit of a silver lining. I'm extremely lucky to be as healthy as I am. 


Alexandria - what a shocking story. I hope you are doing a lot better.

I am a stroke survivor too.

3 years ago, when my career was going great as a bank CIO, stroke disrupted everything. The initial prognosis was that I might never regain my ability to walk and talk. Today, though still living with deficits, I am walking and talking, and recovering everyday.

There is a lot of hope. All the best.



Thank you for sharing your stroy. I have concerns of stroke as my grandmother had one and my mother had a heart attack at young ages. Would you mind letting me know which Birth Control you were on? I am about to get off mine but wanted to see if we had similar ones.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery.


Find a Support Group


Get Involved


For over 30 years we have been the trusted source for free resources and education to the stroke community. Together, we empower survivors and their circle of care to thrive after stroke. Make your tax-deductible donation today to support the growing needs of the stroke community.